Monday 22 February 2016

A DIVINE ACQUAINTANCE

Whoa!
Two posts in a single day. That is way beyond expectations. I don't know what happened to me, I guess the writing bug is doing its deed. 

So, behold fellow viewers for I am going to try my pen at something new, something different (well, not by social media standards) and something inspiring. So here it goes:



No, said the eight year old kid, I will not take your money unless you let me polish your shoes.

I was taken aback, was surprised at the level of morality I just witnessed. The thing is that no one rejects money, and it is a divine gift if we are being paid for doing nothing. But, this child made me feel guilty, he made me realize that how morals and ethics define your character and make you the person you are. 

I offered again, this time being more persistent. 

He declined, again. I was astonished, again.

I really wanted to give some money to the kid, so I succumbed to his demands. I handed over my shoes to him, frowned with disgust (seeing him, then me), and then started a conversation, for the kid was extremely sociable and I needed some enlightenment.

Do you go to school?, I asked

Yes, he replied while diligently polishing my shoes and added, I don't go to a proper school; there is a didi who teaches me. She is very sweet and there is a group of other kids who study with me, he said with happiness in his eyes and swiftness in his hands.

That is amazing, I remarked and further asked,  where are you from?

I am from Ajmer (a city in Rajasthan), he answered with his hands still busy in cleaning my shoes.

Ajmer is a fine place!, I exclaimed; I would love to go there someday.
He listened intently while multi-tasking, looked at me, smiled mischievously and continued polishing.

Meanwhile a tourist from Taiwan enters the scene. Apparently, he was standing close by listening to our conversation (well, he must have figured out what was happening!). The kid, who was almost finished polishing my shoes, jumped at the sight of the foreigner.

Sir, do you want me to polish your shoes? (He said this in impeccable English!)
I am wearing sports shoes, the tourist managed to say to which the kid replied,  it doesn't matter sir, I will make it shine.

The tourist looked at me, smiled, changed his gaze towards the kid and took a 100 Rupees note from his wallet. The kid would not take the money (as expected). Only after a lot of convincing from me and the tourist he did. Nevertheless, he cleaned the shoes of the Taiwanese with a cloth.

I was mesmerized, again.

My shoes were sparkling with the kid's labor. I was left spellbound with his work. I handed him the money, this time he took it happily and just when he was about to run off I asked:

Naam to bata de yaar! (tell me your name)

Salman, he replied laughing.


This is the only photo I have of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment